My dad use to make these regularly when I was growing up; but I thought he made it up 😀
This is his original recipe – (‘pet’ milk means evaporated milk; his shorthand).
Below is another version i found in an old cookbook…
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 loaves brown ‘n’ serve French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 2-quart bowl, mix together first eight ingredients. Cut each loaf of bread in half lengthwise; spread one-half of meat mixture over each half, covering all the way to edges. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes or until meat is cooked, sprinkling with cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking. Cut into slices to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
I found the recipe via an old cookbook…still available on Amazon.
Here’s Cook’s Country’s version –