Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
I shared two (3 🤫🤭) versions/options for a choice here; basic difference is flour vs cornstarch for thickener (I grew up using flour, but have used cornstarch when either I didn’t have flour, or quick no lump version) 😉🤭 And the other difference is beef broth vs chicken broth; again I went with first option (usally , lol). Although Better than Bouillon is awesome in all flavors! Sometimes I even use multiple flavors of their bouillon 😁 good stuff, besides, if you think about it, we often mix flavors like garlic and vegetables in a recipe, OFTEN. Think onion, carrot, celery, garlic? Yumm! 🥰
Third version is really my confession 🤭🤫 when i didn’t have milk ⤵️
I did have Cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic 😁 and it turned out DELICIOUS! Hence my saving recipe here.
I cooked chicken in couple tbs oil, about 3-4 minutes per side. Set chicken aside on platter. Then sauteed chopped onions and mushrooms. Added couple cloves roasted garlic, cook additional 1 minute. Added condensed soup, about a cup of beef broth (made with Better than Bouillon) to desired consistency, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Placed chicken back in gravy. Served with cauliflower rice.
-first version i looked at 😉 from Recipe Tin Eats
RECIPE VIDEO ABOVE. The mushroom gravy is to die for!! My tip is to use beef rather than chicken broth which sounds counter intuitive but it gives the gravy better flavour (not “beefy”) and a deep brown gravy colour. Refer to the notes for using chicken broth instead.
- 1.2 lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless, , 4 small ones (Note 1)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp butter , separated
- 4 oz mushrooms , sliced
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped (or minced)
- 1/4 cup flour (3 tbsp)
- 2 cups beef broth (Note 2 for chicken broth)
- Thyme or parsley
- Place a plastic bag or cling wrap over the chicken and pound to even thickness 2cm / 4/5″ thick. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and melt 1 tbsp butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes or until golden, then turn and cook the other side for 3 minutes. Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to the skillet. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes or until pretty golden.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp butter and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until mushrooms are golden.
- Turn heat DOWN to medium. Add flour and mix for 1 minute.
- Add about 1/4 of the beef broth, mixing as you go. Once incorporated, add remaining broth gradually, mixing constantly. This is key to avoid lumps in gravy. Use a whisk if needed (works fine even with mushrooms in there) (Note 3 for beginner option).
- Cook gravy for about 2 minutes or until it thickens to your taste – remember it will thicken more as it cools when serving. Adjust salt and pepper.
- If you want, return chicken to the pan and turn to coat in gravy.
- Place chicken on serving plates, top with gravy. Best served with mashed potato or similar to optimise the mushroom gravy experience!
Recipe Notes:1. Or split larger ones in half horizontally to form steaks.
2. If you prefer to use chicken broth instead, add 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce for a touch of extra flavour. I like using beef broth because it gives the gravy better flavour and that deep brown colour.
3. If you are a beginner cook, you may wish to take the safer option to ensure there are no lumps in your gravy. To do the easier option, before adding the second tbsp of butter to the mushrooms, remove the mushrooms. Turn heat down to medium, add the 1 tbsp butter + garlic, once melted, add flour, cook for 1 minute. Then gradually add the beef broth, stirring constantly. Use a whisk if needed to make it lump free. Return mushrooms to the gravy at the end once gravy is thickened.
Contest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Mix cornstarch and milk until smooth. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in sherry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; heat through.
This recipe was tested with Land O’Lakes light stick butter.
MINE 😁 ⤵️ (with some unnecessary pics of FLAVOR)🥰 aka good options. TASTE.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.