Decided on Au gratin over scalloped…it was #CHEESE that got me.
Keeping potatoes in water with a little lemon juice (I’ve used lime when it was all I had at hand…making me think any “citrus”?) Keeps potatoes from turning color.
Putting my knife skills to task…
Speaking of knives ..I’m testing out magnetic knife block as a place to keep my sharpening rod.
I believe I used AllRecipes version
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1//2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F . Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven
Sweated onions, added minced garlic…
You think I’d throw away leftover Béchamel sauce ? Oh no! I’ll find a use for it.
Waiting for Lily to get out of school….