JAPANESE FARM-STYLE GRILLED TERIYAKI CHICKEN BOWL
June 7, 2016 by
For this grilled chicken teriyaki bowl, marinate the chicken the night before or in the morning before you go to work. Come home, fire up the grill and have a relaxing evening outdoors.
lJAPANESE FARM-STYLE GRILLED TERIYAKI CHICKEN BOWL
A simple, authentic grilled Japanese farm style teriyaki Bowl that can be made with chicken or Portobellos. The chicken will need to marinate 4-12 hours. Serve with rice, cucumber salad, and avocado for a delicious Teriyaki bowl.
Author: Sylvia Fountaine | Feasting at Home Blog
Farm Style Teriyaki
- 1 pound chicken thighs ( boneless skinless) Or sub 4 extra large Portobellos
- 8 ounces shitake mushrooms ( optional)
- ¼ cup soy sauce ( or use GF Braggs Liquid amino acid)
- ¼ cup mirin
- 1-2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 cup rice, rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- Cucumber Ribbon Salad
- 1 large english cucumber
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon toastedsesame seeds
- 1-2 avocados ( one half, per bowl) , peeled, sliced, salted
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions ( or chives)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Place whole thighs in a ziplock bag with soy sauce, mirin and ginger and marinate 4 hours or overnight. The longer, the more flavor. You could add shiitake mushrooms to the same bag if you want.
- After this has marinated, and you are ready to grill, cook the rice.
- Place water and rinsed rice in a medium pot with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer on low for 20 -40 minutes, depending on rice type ( read directions) . Leave covered until ready to serve.
- In the mean time, make the cucumber salad and preheat the grill to medium high.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Using a vegetable peeler, or sharp cheese slicer or mandolin, peel long thin strips or “ribbons” onto a couple of paper towels. Blot with a couple more paper towels and place them in a bowl. In a small bowl, whisk rice wine vinegar, salt and sugar and sesame seeds together and pour over cucumber ribbons, toss.
- Slice the avocado and scallions.
- Grill the chicken and shiitakes, over medium high heat, turning heat down after marking, letting the chicken cook through. Move the shiitakes to a cooler spot on the grill,or set aside to prevent burning.
- Once cooked through, slice the chicken and assemble the bowls:
- Place rice in the middle, add grilled chicken to one side, then avocado, cucumber salad and shiitakes. Sprinkle avocado with salt. Scatter bowl with sesame seeds and scallions, serve with chop sticks.
- NOTES: If going vegan, sub 4-5 large portobello mushrooms for the chicken and add 1 tablespoon oil to the marinade and marinate for 1-2 hours only.
- If you can’t find toasted sesame seeds, lightly toast raw sesame seeds in a dry skillet until fragrant and golden.
I LOVE TERIYAKI!!! ♡
You must be logged in to post a comment.