The idiot-proof way to make chicken parm
- 2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tbsp. water
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 c. marinara
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400º. Prepare breading station with 3 large mixing bowls: 1 bowl with panko, garlic powder, and Parmesan mixed with a fork; another with the egg mixture; and the third bowl with flour. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then coat each piece of chicken in flour and shake off excess. Dip chicken into egg mixture and then into bread crumb mixture; repeat steps for remaining chicken and set aside on a plate.
- In a deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1″ oil. When pan is hot but not smoking, add chicken. Cook about until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm marinara. Turn off heat and place chicken in sauce. Top with mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Top with basil and serve immediately.
Judy Kim is a NYC-based food stylist, recipe developer, and photographer. She also writes recipes for her websiteThe Judy Lab.