stands up to the test of time. When something becomes a classic, there’s a good reason. I’ve made this recipe often for the last 45 years; for multiple reasons, one is TASTE…it always turns out good. Another is when I don’t have breadcrumbs 😀 also it’s EASY & has stuck in my memory. Actually I’ve still used this recipe when I didn’t have Oats & i substituted it with breadcrumbs.
This is my favorite version. There are lots I like yet I still go back to this one. THAT’S our family’s meatloaf.
Yes, a long time, however…not as long as Quaker 😀
1877; 140 years ago (as Quaker Mill Company)
The Quaker Oats standing “Quaker Man” logo c.1900
Let me say first though that I don’t use a loaf pan. I did back in the day 😀 now I use a sheet pan with parchment paper on it and just shape it into a loaf. I used ketchup in meat mix instead of tomato sauce. We ALWAYS put ketchup on top of meatloaf too, before putting it in oven. Lastly, at my daughter’s request, on this one I also barely sprinkled brown sugar on top. It was DELICIOUS.
- 1-1/2 Pounds 90% lean ground beef
- 1 Cup tomato juice or tomato sauce
- 3/4 Cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 Cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Press into 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Bake 1 hour to medium doneness (160°F internal temperature). Meatloaf should not be pink in center and the juices should show no pink color. Let stand 5 minutes; drain off any juices before slicing.Serving Tips: Customize meatloaf by adding one of the following to meatloaf ingredients:
1) 1/2 cup frozen (thawed) or canned (drained) corn;
2) 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper;
3) One 2-1/2-ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained;
4) 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese; or
5) Two tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. Sprinkle top of baked meatloaf with 1 cup shredded cheese. Return to oven for 3 minutes to melt cheese. Spoon heated prepared spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, barbecue sauce or salsa over meatloaf before serving.
I suppose you can tell I just use this recipe for basic reminder of the ratio of ingredients.