I do fold it different than original recipe states, but that’s not important; the more rustic and different the more charming. I think they’re beautiful. Also, sometimes I make one large one, depending on what’s in pantry.
Rustic Freeform Apple Pie
- 4 apples of any variety with skin peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 egg
- recipe to make 2 unbaked pastry pie shells
- Preheat oven at 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for egg
- Roll out 4 pie doughs for 4 pies on a floured surface
- Divide apple mixture
- apple mixture in 4 and add a serving to each pie shell in the center
- Fold the left and right flap towards the middle, then fold the top and bottom flap.
- Crack egg and add 2 teaspoons of water. Brush eggwash over the pastry
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for another 40 minutes.
I used Honey Crisp, because they’re our favorite.
Made brown sugar because > confession: I forgot I bought more; I could totally leave that part out 😜
I LOVE molasses flavor.
You should see my shirt 😜
I didn’t have parchment paper. Make it work 😉
Obviously I think they’re beautiful. And tastes DELICIOUS!