I ran across this NYT site that I had to save and share!
Thanksgiving Recipes Across the United States – The New York Times
Harvey House Candied Sweet Potatoes
I grew up with southern candied yams and continued making them the way my mother did, which took some care and babysitting; with basically, sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, Karo syrup and turning so carefully, on low & slow burner. Which, btw, I haven’t done in years now. But…they’re back on my menu! An easier way. BAKED southern style candied yams…errr sweet potatoes, courtesy of this Times article…
The United States of Thanksgiving
Now THIS I can work with.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- ½ cup/1 stick butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch of salt
- In a large pot, boil sweet potatoes in their jackets in water to cover until fork-tender, 20 to 45 minutes depending upon their size. Drain and cool.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Peel potatoes and slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Place in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or 2-quart gratin dish, overlapping slices to fit in one layer.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in sugar and salt until smooth. Pour evenly over the potatoes. Bake until potatoes look shiny and glazed, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot or warm
You must be logged in to post a comment.