Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Cabbage
I’ve posted similar recipe already but there’s so many…with variations; meaning it’s really flexible…to your family’s preference or what’s at hand. I always use kielbasa. Also, I didn’t use potatoes & i did add carrots. I also use Better Than Bouillon (that varies with what I have also; ham base, chicken…VEGETABLES 😀 ) & a little sprinkle of brown sugar. ♡ The broth tastes SO good…I don’t need any mustard or vinegar, apple juice, etc.. Although that sounds good too (Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar)…even some apple slices. For this time though, I kept it simple & quick prep. Sharing the following recipe from “Simplify Live Love” ~
Oh…btw, I do have the “Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker” AND “Crockpot”, like them both.
- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds organic kielbasa
- 1 cup apple juice or water works just as well, honestly
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 large potatoes, diced
- 2-3 large carrots, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Layer the cabbage, onion, potatoes, carrots, and sausage in a 5 or 6 qt. crockpot.
- Whisk together the juice, mustard, vinegar and pour over crockpot ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. (My crockpot cooks it faster than that – it’s usually ready after only 4-6 hours instead so prepare to adjust the time depending on your crock pot.)
- I’ve also cooked it on high for 1 hour and then on low for 3-4 hours when I forget to get it ready earlier in the day.
I love this recipe because it is quick, frugal and delicious. My crockpot is my work horse! If you’re looking for a good slow cooker, I highly recommend this Hamilton Beach 6 qt version. I’ve had this slow cooker for a number of years now and have been very, very happy with it.
.It’s not TOO warm for this meal, well…to us ever, but for anyone…it’s a beautiful day!