Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
I did a few things different, not because I thought it was better (well, except for #BetterThanBouillon, that makes everything better), but only due to using what I had available. Like we don’t like potatoes in our chicken pot pie. I had/used 2 LARGE chicken breasts. I didn’t have frozen corn but I had fresh. I used fresh cream instead of milk, and I use Better Than Bouillon chicken base AND a little of their Roasted Garlic Base. I used lard & butter rather than bacon fat. Lastly, I used a 1/4 cup of flour…with extra broth and cream on standby if it was too thick; didn’t end up using it though. Season. TASTE. Oh and mise en place 😉
Truthfully…I didn’t even read recipe; I had my mise en place and just watched his video, pausing as needed, along the way. Not because of the need to know how, I’ve been making this a long time, but because of my MEMORY! That way I wouldn’t forget anything 😆 ➼ https://youtu.be/H4YIj4XYnE4
video and recipe is convenient for following basics.
• Roasted chicken
• Potatoes – Cubed
• Carrots – Cubed
• Celery – Diced
• Onions – Diced
• Chicken broth
• Puff pastry
• Sage and rosemary – Chopped finely
• Egg wash
• Bacon fat
• Remove meat from roasted chicken and chop up to bite size pieces.
• In your skillet melt the butter and bacon fat.
• Add in the diced carrots, potatoes, onions and celery. Sauté for 8-10 min.
• Add the herbs, garlic and chicken.
* Sprinkle in a table spoon of flour and cook through.
• Mix everything together and add 2 cups chicken stock.
• Unfold the puff pastry and cut corners of to make round.
• Put the pastry on the top of the mixture. Cut 4 slits in the top and brush on egg wash.
• Cook 15-16 min in 400 degree oven.
• Pull out of oven and let stand for 10-15 min.
That crust was FLAKY! Some might like more and/or thinner gravy, but we don’t really like ours running out onto dish…or before getting it to our dish 😆